Wednesday, February 8, 2012

U-Turn

I'd have been back sooner with a finished product but I ran into difficulties after the top was completed. My original idea, while I was piecing, was that I would tie this quilt. The overall design just seemed to call for it. But when the top was done I thought this might be a good time to try out the serpentine stitch on Ruby Blue.

It did not go well. First of all, I didn't get the backing fabric taut enough when I basted the layers together. I also had faulty batting. It was supposed to be Warm & Natural but we accidently brought home a Pellon product instead. It appears to have been their answer to Warm & Natural but it was alternately thick and thin, so thin you could see through it in places. Not a quality product.

And the stitch I was so looking forward to using turned out to be less satisfying than I had hoped. In fact, I couldn't get the results I wanted at all, in spite of everything I tried. I carefully unpicked the six seamlines I had quilted at that point. We returned the batting for a refund and bought the real deal this time. I got out my number 5 perle cotton, loaded two strands in an embroidery needle, and set to work again.

There were still issues with the backing but I think I fixed them adequately. Overall it looks pretty good. I'm sure after some time has passed I will feel better about the end product. I named it Syncopation. My hope now is that it will at least bring in an amount of money equivalent to the cost of the materials I used in making it.

5 comments:

  1. I think it's beautiful. love the colors you've used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How frustrating to get a bad batting, and then have to replace it. Your quilt came out so nice in spite of the unexpected obstacle. I hope it brings in a good price to your worthy cause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great Sue, despite the problems. Awesome job on undoing the "stuff" and getting it finished despite them. Hugs, Finn

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was definitely worth all the hassle. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.