Friday, March 16, 2012

An Ending & A Beginning

The community has spoken: when Heather gets back from all her travels I'll take my Reading Material quilt to her for quilting. :- )

In the meantime, I finally put ties in the lap quilt All to Pieces. Then I bound it with a binding made from the scraps of four previous bindings. All that remains is to ship it off to the Alzheimer's Disease Co-operative Study.


There's still a goodly amount of text prints left over from Reading Material. I thought I might make a second, smaller, version but things have taken a slightly different direction. I fell victim to the cheerful "Cat in the Hat" collection of Dr. Seuss prints recently. I was thrilled to see them when they first appeared but hadn't a clue how I would use them. I also had pieces of a panel put out by Block Party Studios. I auditioned a few of the prints from Reading Material with the Dr. Seuss prints and then started fussy cutting images.


Before too long I had the Block Party Studios pieces framed up and some of the Dr. Seuss patches made into four and nine patch blocks. Then I dug around in my stash for other patches I'd fussy cut out of scraps to see what else I might include. I want to see if I could tone down Dr. Seuss a bit.


The idea is to make a child's quilt that I will donate to our local public library. Every summer they sponsor a summer reading program for K-12 children. In the past there have been prizes given away at the end of the summer, I assume based on the number of books a child has read or some similar criteria. I called to explain the quilt I'm making and to offer it to them for this year's program.

They were thrilled to learn of my offer, which did my heart good. Apparently there are a couple of ways they could put the quilt to use in conjunction with the reading program and that hasn't been firmly decided yet. In the meantime, this is what my design wall looks like at the moment. Kind of a mess! I'm just continuing to pull and cut potential prints for now. This quilt will have a white undertone, whereas my Reading Material quilt has a more beige undertone, so I don't think there will be much cross-over between the two quilts after all. Of course, there's always the back!

2 comments:

  1. Your whimsical fun is coming through wonderfully...I'm ready to play in the scrap bags! Love your strings and all of your bits and pieces ...makes me want to drag mine out and just have fun!!! Lovely you are sending the other kind of Alz. quilt off to a wonderful cause!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt All to Pieces looks great, and what a great place to send it. That is a wonderful piece for amusing a patient. Lots to look at.

    And what a great idea for your Reading/Dr. Seuss quilt to use it somehow for the library's reading program! I'm glad to hear the library was interested in it. It's looking good so far.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.