Saturday, April 14, 2012

Back to the Doctor

Well, it's been nearly a week since my last post. It was mostly a good, busy week but there were a couple of unexpected exposures that took me down. Something at the food co-op, normally a relatively safe place for me, turned out to be very toxic. And it was still there later in the week. Weird. Hopefully it will be gone by the time I have to go back.

Meanwhile, Sharon has reminded me that you're still waiting to see how the Dr. Seuss quilt turned out. Sorry about that! I got involved in a new project almost as soon as I completed the Seuss top and that absorbed all my attention.
So this is where the quilt for the library's summer reading program was when last you saw it:


You'll have to look carefully to see the minor, but effective, change I made between that photo and the next one.



Did you spot it? I took out the white cornerstones that stopped the book borders around the reader and replaced them with the yellow print. I'd been looking for a way to get that yellow into the center of the quilt. All it took was these four little patches!


I knew I wanted some red below the reader panel to balance out the red in the other quadrants. A bit of "Cat in the Hat" print did the trick - just a whole cloth strip. I made one more star out of a four patch block I'd sewn up earlier, filled in with more of the scattered Dr. Seuss characters on yellow, and framed the bottom with the same dotted yellow I used a the top and in the middle. I thought I might add a final border to enclose the composition but in the end I decided against it. I am assured the quilt is big enough as it is, which is about 49" x 60." I have a rainbow stripe I plan to use for the binding and I think that will finish it off nicely. I haven't entirely decided what to do about the back. I feel like I still have plenty of time though. And I expect the quilting I do will be fairly straightforward and minimal. I really am more about the design, the piecing, than the quilting. ;- )

4 comments:

  1. I love it!!! Getting those corner stones out of there was perfect! The yellow does a much better job. All in all, it's a delightful quilt. I don't remember reading about its beginnings, but then I've been absent quite a bit this past winter, LOL.
    I appreciated your comment about Stringy playtime over at String Thing Along. I left you a comment there in the comment section. I don't seem to be able to answer comments from that blog as they don't go to my email as with Pieces.
    I've checked out the AAQI site you gave me, and will pursue sending that quilt and perhaps one more (a black and white and red bow tie) their way. Thanks so much! Hugs,Finn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on working your way through the challenges to get this flimsy the way you wanted it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I like the changes you made - now the colors flow across the quilt and it all works together. You really hung in there and got it all to work together. Someone is going to be thrilled to get this quilt!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.