Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Blocks & Tops

I've made a couple more friendship blocks for ladies in my local quilt group. This one is called "Crossing Ohio."



This one is "Paradox." I sort of wish I had more contrast in the center of the block but this is acceptable. I'm pleased to report that both of these blocks are perfectly sized!


I've been thinking about my predilection for making scrappy blocks/quilts. I've come to the conclusion that it's a genetic predisposition. For example, I have this Double Wedding Ring top that one of my great grandmothers made:


Here's a close-up of one of the blocks:


There's some repetition of prints but I suspect she didn't have as much to choose from as I do!

And then there's this Lady of the Lake top made by the same great grandmother:


Again, there's organization, but she wasn't afraid of busy! She also seemed to have a preference for setting her blocks side by side as I do. I find all this comforting somehow. It strengthens the link between myself and a grandmother I never knew personally. I've kept other family heirlooms for the same reason. They are touchstones to ancestors I never knew personally.

I've continued to make Scrappy Trips and other assorted blocks out of scraps. The flannel jelly roll quilt is on its way to New Jersey and I will have a lap quilt on the way to California later this week. Did you know that the Alzheimer's Disease Co-operative Study have completely depleted their stock of lap quilts? They're looking for some patriotic themed quilts to be distributed to study participants who are veterans. I know there are some red, white, and blue blocks in my Parts Drawer. Guess it's time to dig them out!

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, Lady of the Lake is one of all-time favorite blocks--this is beautiful. One day I will embark on it...Julierose

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.