Wednesday, June 3, 2015

It's Working!

I joined the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this year with the goal of using up remnants more than actual scraps. If you've been following along you know that I've made a lot of 12" Ohio Star blocks out of those remnants. I've also made two nearly-twin-size tops out of African prints and three flimsies destined to become quilts for children. Being part of the RSC unleashed whatever had been holding me back from using some of those prints I collected long ago. When it hit me how much fabric I must have used up I decided to reorganize my fabric stacks a bit. Mind you, I have two particle board bookcases with five shelves each loaded with quilting cottons. I only rearranged the bottom two shelves of those bookcases but look what I ended up with:


That's one bookcase, with nearly one whole slot empty! The other shelves are less crammed too. Yippee! Of course, Nature and The Magpie's Nest abhor a void. I have new fabric coming, courtesy of the recent Memorial Day sales here and abroad. ;- )

The RSC color for June is light blue, tending toward green if we care to. I quickly rifled through my stacks of blue and was shocked not to find very many remnants. I'll have another, more thorough, pass through them soon. In the meantime, I found enough to make these three blocks:




Those two will very likely end up in quilts for my twin granddaughters.


This one will be added to the collection for future use. It might be a little dark for this month's palette but it was a remnant that needed to be used up.

I will be linking up with the other RSC bloggers on Saturday but I have another linky party this week too, for Hands2Help. Stay tuned!

10 comments:

  1. Reorganizing is definitely tiring work - but oh, isn't it fun, to enjoy the results ??!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good for you--I don't have a lot of light blues either except for 2.5" squares so my Postage stamp block will be sewn up at least!! Lovely big stars! Nice re-arranging there! Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at that, how lovely and organised! You've been very busy! Love the block with the pink heart in the centre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the scrap usage! I know it feels good to have freed up some space for NEW fabric - Yay! I think you deserve some new stuff, because you are so frugal in using up the old stuff. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how dedicated you are to this whole project. Love the Ohio Stars, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it a nice feeling to look at an organised stash and sich a rainbowy colourplay?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty star blocks, I like the hearts in the centre.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to see shelves of neatly stacked and sorted fabrics so your photo was a joy!!
    Lovely stars with the hearts for granddaughters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your organized material. And your blocks are so pretty. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking good! Beautiful stars.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.