Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Time Out

I've been playing with those 199 shoo-fly blocks. Maybe I'm making it harder on myself than it needs to be but things are not coming together as easily as you might think they would. I mean, I have 199 blocks for heaven's sake! Surely I ought to be able to set 120 of them together in a pleasing arrangement.

First I did this:


It was when I reached that lower corner that I thought about that yellow panel. It's been in my stash for years, a thoughtful gift from my SIL. I've tried a couple of times to build a quilt around it but it's still waiting for the right time and place.


Somehow using it in this very scrappy quilt seemed like a good idea. It still does. So I tried building around the panel.


This is better in some respects but I'm still not happy with it. Our weather has taken a turn toward the frigid, and my son brought in a gift quilt that needs to be bound so this is what my design wall looks like at the moment:


You will note, if you look carefully, that I have to fold and pin the design wall extension up out of the way of the wall heater and thermostat. I might not worry about the room getting cold during the night if it weren't for my studio canary, Pippen.


I'll be pruning that quilt and applying its binding before I making another run at the shoo-fly blocks. One of these days I'm going to have to apply myself to the job of preparing for Christmas too!

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful blocks - I just know you'll find the right combination!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I like what I see so far! I like the rainbow layout. And grouping the more light/yellow blocks around that block from your SIL looks like it's working. You'll get it. Good luck on that binding!

    It has gotten pretty darn frigid here too. And a big storm expected tomorrow evening. I hope my DH gets home from his trip before it gets bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be gorgeous Sue but I don't envy you the task of finding the best layout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the first layout... Would it maybe work to make the yellow block the centre of the quilt and have the colours radiating out from it, gradually getting darker round the outer edge? Whatever you go with, I'm confident it'll be a gorgeous quilt, and I'm just totally in awe that you can go into your drawers and just pull out blocks for a whole quilt, just like that. Mind you, I have two F2F boxes where I can do that, but it's not quite the same!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am leaning towards the top layout, but keep playing until you are happy. (And do not let Pippen freeze!)

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.